Feeling like you are in a rut and just can not seem to make the BIG changes needed to get yourself out?
It’s so easy to get caught up in the routine of getting things done, that many of us find ourselves feeling apathetic and unsatisfied. Often, this leads to noticing many BIG changes that are needed in our lives to get us where we want to be, and feeling overwhelmed with the idea of having to tackle them. So what can we do? Especially when we are feeling life is so busy we simply “can’t do anything else“.
You might be surprised how a few small and simple changes can bring about some HUGE results. Often these very simple changes can lead to bigger and better things with less effort than you might think.
First, think about what it is you want to change? Looking for more energy, getting more fit, increasing the excitement in your life, or spending more time with friends and family? No need to map out a complex plan of action, just look at the smaller ways to get you started.
- Take a look at your daily routine, find something that might be easy but beneficial to change. Maybe switch from a morning to a night workout will leave you more invigorated, or allow you the opportunity to meet up with friends/coworkers.
- Or what about your daily diet, do you eat the same things every day? Switch it up, try a new recipe, add a new healthy food that maybe you have never tried before.
- Make a Date!!— Whether you are married or single, have a big or small family; making a date can put back some fun in the week. Put some dates on the calendar to hang out with family and friends. No money? No worries!! Plan to meet at a local park or invite everyone over for a potluck. It’s not the complexity matters, its the people!
- Look for a bad habit to try and reduce or maybe even eliminate. Even a little sugar, caffeine or alcohol can weigh you down. Try reducing it at first, or maybe just replacing that cup of coffee with a green smoothie or glass of water. Add in a few more vegetables and cut out a few more starches. These simple little things can add up to big results and can give you quite a boost!
- Do you lack structure? Pick a small project a week to get organized. Maybe you always clean your desk off before leaving for the night, or start to make your bed before leaving for the day. These small changes, will quickly turn into daily habits and then you can add something new.
- Or, are you too structured? Then find something to “let go of”. Yes, maybe just let it go or give the responsibility to someone else. You may find it hugely rewarding to free yourself of even the smallest and most mundane task.
- Feeling tired on a regular basis? Try going to bed a little earlier to get some extra sleep. Yes this will mean less time in the evening, but it may just pay off dividends with higher productivity during the day. A small “cat nap” (10 – 15 minutes) might give you and added boost and make your whole day feel more energized.
- Looking for ways to increase your activity, but can’t seem to find the time? Try a walk during lunch or just after dinner. Instead of meeting friends for a drink, have them meet up up for a hike or walk. For date night, pick something adventurous head out for some rock climbing or axe throwing (yes people do that!).
- Try increasing your mindfulness. So much of our energy is needlessly spent on consuming thoughts, worry and dread. Try starting or ending your day with a “Mindful Moment”. Mindfulness is a great way to clear your mind and begin/end your day in a positive way. There are lots of great Apps and guided videos to get you started!!
The point is, quit waiting for the time energy to make the BIG changes. All of us can find small, quick and easy ways to make changes and get things moving in the directions we want them to go. It really does not matter how or what you change, it matters more that you shake things up a bit and give your body, mind and spirit something different.
So go ahead, shake things up today! You just might find that JOY you have been missing!